Timing belt broke, engine is toast - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Timing belt broke, engine is toast

I searched keywords for this subject, yet it did not return any results.
My oldest daughter gave her 2003 2.0 L Jetta to her younger sister.
My oldest, NEVER did PM even though I harped on it for years.

So, here goes, my youngest daughter is driving it to the DMV for the first time to switch the title and it just dies. She had it towed to my VW mechanic and he called this AM to inform me that the timing belt broke and bent the valves. He said, just sell it for parts as your oldest daughter never did a thing to keep the car running.

My question, is it worth yanking the engine and doing a rebuild on it? It has about 173K miles on it. So, junk yard or repair yard? I would do the work myself.

Newbie in VA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

Might be worth looking around to find a replacement engine, do the belts, water pump and seals and put it into the car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

Smile engine install

I changed motors on my 2003 jetta to a 2002 both are 1.8 t i have a code engine controller / transmission controller need help also sometimes my epc light comes on losees power dose the motor need to be need the code go away thank u

Last edited by Bittabrown; 05-08-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: to say thank u

Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

K-TAG ECU Programming Tool Master have update to the V2.11, but what is the advantage for the new version, I want to should know this.Folow is Compare the new vertion K-TAG ECU Programming Tool with the Old.
1. Software and hardware all updated, software version, V2.11, hardware version is V6.070. same function like the original one.
2. V2.11 KTAG has unlimited tokens,but this is not the matter.
we have add a renew button, when you run out of tens, only need press the renew button, then you will have tokens again.Add a renew button which help users away from the worries of hardware be locked using 30 times, you only need press the button to renew by yourself.
3. The new K-TAG is 100% J-Tag compatible, but in a completely different way. Usually J-Tag programmers are available only for big productions, never present in chiptuning devices.
4. Works on new BMW F series! such as BMW 1 serial, 3 serial.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 AM   #5

KTAG ECU programmer Master have update to the V2.11, but what is the advantage for the new version, I want to should know this.Folow is Compare the new vertion K-TAG ECU Programming Tool with the Old.
1. Software and hardware all updated, software version, V2.11, hardware version is V6.070. same function like the original one.
2. V2.11 KTAG has unlimited tokens,but this is not the matter.
we have add a renew button, when you run out of tens, only need press the renew button, then you will have tokens again.Add a renew button which help users away from the worries of hardware be locked using 30 times, you only need press the button to renew by yourself.
3. The new K-TAG is 100% J-Tag compatible, but in a completely different way. Usually J-Tag programmers are available only for big productions, never present in chiptuning devices.
4. Works on new BMW F series! such as BMW 1 serial, 3 serial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement