new member questions - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 PM   #1

Default new member questions

Just bought a 98 Jetta GL 118k I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer. First off, the engine is a 2.0L ABA. Is this an interference or non-interference engine. I got a folder of maintenance records with the car, and there is no record of the timing belt having been changed. With regards to this, is the timing belt replacement fairly easy. I replaced the TB and water pump on my 99 Miata, but it was a fairly lengthy project. Wondering how this might compare. Secondly, the car is a 5 speed manual. It seems the clutch doesn't engage until the pedal is fairly far out. Is this adjustable, or perhaps characteristic of these cars. The records show the clutch was repaved at about 75,000 miles. Third question, there is a fair amount of rust on the lower rocker panels. Otherwise, the car is pretty clean. Is the car a unibody construction.
Thanks much for any advice you can offer on these topics. Also, any other information I should know will be greatly appreciated. I bought the car as my winter DD, as the Miata doesn't do well in the snow. Have had a lot of fun owning the Miata, and participating in the Miata forum. Am hoping for a similar experience with the Jetta. Cheers, John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Well, I can't say much for this forum. My post has been up for two days, has had only 30 something views, and no replies. Most other posts also have zero replies. Was hoping for something similar to the Miata forum, where your posts get lots of views and at least a few replies. Is there another Jetta Forum with more activity, or are Jetta owners just not that excited about their cars.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement