Jolting when braking downhill - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Default Jolting when braking downhill

We got the 2017 Jetta 1.4 TSI Automatic transmission after our TDI was part of the buy back.

We have been noticing issues when braking (mainly going downhill) where the car will jolt and RPMs will skyrocket and going uphill can be an occasional issue where it feels like it is really struggling for power. If you use cruise control during hills, it is anything but smooth.

Is this just normal for the automatic downshifting of the car to save on fuel or is something else going on?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking it's normal. My 2018 sometimes does a very noticeable downshift and slowdown.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #3

For the beginning stage my car has been jolting or jumping when driving (accelerating &decelerating). The check engine light hasn't come on yet. Any idea what it would be?

Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

The newer cars have a totally different shift logic. My '15 Sport would downshift
while breaking, and it also resulted in higher RPMs than I would prefer, so I moved it
over to +/- when braking, and it didn't do that. Only when in "D" did it downshift
like that, I didn't like it, at all.

Now, I have a '12 SE 2.5, and I can leave it in "D" and it does not downshift like
that, like the '15 did, and what you're going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement