Evap CEL on '16 with only 67k, think its p0440. Why is it showing up? - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Default Evap CEL on '16 with only 67k, think its p0440. Why is it showing up?

Just bought this 2016 SE with the 1.4l turbo engine and at least once a week it gets a CEL for the evap system. I dont remember the exact one but im pretty sure its p0440. I doubt its a loose gas cap or any defect with the evap system as, again, its only at 67k. Ive had at least 4 cars in the past with evap CELs that i could never get rid of, but this one is very persistent and the jetta also has FAR less miles than those other cars. I dont have time anymore to mess around with the evap system to see what the problem is, im not going to take it to the dealer, and im not going to keep throwing money at new parts until it stops showing up. I would really like to ignore this but i have to check the cel each time to make sure its not an actual issue, and having to plug my scanner in once or twice a week is ridiculous. Anyone know what might be causing this? I doubt its the gas cap and thats the most common fix (even though it never fixed the cels on any previous cars...)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

I have 76k on my 2015 1.8. and I just had a p0441 pop up on my system. Does your car have idling issues or random longer starting times? mine has had both for several weeks now and finally popped that code. I am going to test the purge valve tomorrow with 12v but apparently its the most common component to go out... unsure if it helps you but I would start there....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #3

P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

Possible causes

• Missing or loose fuel cap
  • Incorrect fuel filler cap used
  • Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
  • Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
  • EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
  • EVAP system hose leaking
  • Fuel tank leaking

P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

Possible causes

• Missing Fuel cap
  • Incorrect fuel filler cap used
  • Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
  • Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
  • Incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement