Serpentine belt CUT through a/c line - 14 Jetta - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Exclamation Serpentine belt CUT through a/c line - 14 Jetta

Hey there,
Joined the forum because I couldn't find any answers anywhere. Hoping someone has seen this.

My daughter has a 14 Jetta SE.
I took it for an oil change yesterday. When I left there and got to where I was going, about 4 miles away on a traffic free drive, a plume of smoke came out from under the hood when I finally stopped. I turned the engine off and there was a constant and loud hissing sound. Something pressurized was off-gassing. I looked under the hood and couldn't pinpoint anything except that the serpentine belt looked wet. So I just took it back to the oil change place.
There we discovered that the venting sound was refrigerant leaking from the soft line portion of an A/C line. That line runs about an inch away from the serpentine belt. On the soft line, there was a straight gash that matched up with the belt. But it was impossible to get either to touch by moving either part by hand.
Has anyone seen this or know of a TSB out on it?
The car is at the dealer right now. I'm hoping they have a way of covering it through VW.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

That can't happen on its own. The belt can't jump off the pulley, slice the hose
and then go back on the pulley. Someone had the line against the belt with the
motor running. When they started the engine to circulate the new oil, something
pressed the line up against the belt.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Turns out there was impact damage from underneath. The line and more was shifted in the engine bay. Who knows how long it had been that way. But it made it through on this day. $1700 repair for the bent hard line and cut soft line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement