Warm AC - Diagnosed as failing ECM but unsure - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #1

Default Warm AC - Diagnosed as failing ECM but unsure

I am having trouble with the AC being cold, it slowly warmed up and I finally got it into a shop for a proper vacuum, and recharge. They filled it up no problem, and it held the freon just fine, so no leaks. Next possible problem, the compressor, which can't be diagnosed because apparently it's not even turning on!! Since this is the case, after the mechanic replaced a few minor working parts of the AC and thoroughly checked the AC wires to see if there was a faulty connection, he was troubled to say that he couldn't specicially target the issue but THINKS it could be the engine control module! (ECM OR ECU). He also mentioned how a fuse was blowing each time the ac turned on, so he left that fuse removed. I feel like it couldn't be the ECM and that there still may be some type of faulty wiring/connection but if he can't find it idk who can. If it was the ECM, wouldn't it be more then just the signal to turn my compressor on that'd be having trouble, like having trouble starting and stalling? The engine is strong, I think it's more of a wire issue. So confusing, but no matter what I don't see a viable option to fix this AC besides acquiring a portable one! I also posted the same problem on the welcome forum. Please let me know if anyone comes up with an alternative solution to the problem. Thanks everyoneeverybody in advance!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

Default VW AC compressor not kicking in. Mine is doing that!

I have a 2001 Jetta 2.0 GLS, there is a thermo or "ambient temperature" switch underneath the plastic pluem cover on the driver's side. As near as I can tell from the AllData & hard copy service manual these two wires, green & black, go directly to the Fan Control Module underneath the battery box. I "think" this module is seperate from the ECM, i.e., I can't trace nor see on diagrams where any of the FCM wires go to the ECM (which is also under or in the pluem) in the middle.
The main wiring harness can be reached, but these two wires branch out of the main harness. Kinda hard to get to, have to have little fingers or use a long surgical forcept to pull what you can out to check or try to splice.
I had to run two new wires outside of the main harness to the FCM.
A pack rat ate thru the plastic cover and made his winter home there! He chewed my wires into!
You might also check all the plugs especially where the harness goes through the firewall and behind the fuse panel on the front drivers side, I had a short behind this fuse panel last year!
Has taken me all spring to trace it down!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement