Ignition Cylinder Replacement - Stereo Controls Broken - Volkswagen Jetta Forum
JettaForums.com is the premier Volkswagen Jetta Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Ignition Cylinder Replacement - Stereo Controls Broken

I have a 2012 Jetta that had the ignition cylinder go out. I was able to get the replacement replaced under warranty by VW (they had an extended time period for covering that issue). I picked up the car and noticed my stereo controls on the steering wheel didn't full work after the repair work. I reported it to the dealer as I picked up and was told they would review and repair as needed when I came back in for the key that was coming in. I took the car back in later for the new key and a basic service. While the car was there they had some issues with the key and needed to do extra work to make it work. I pick up the car and the service person I was dealing with now says the issue with the stereo controls was not from them. That is a 7 year old car - sometimes electronics go bad and that they only worked in one little area around the ignition cylinder so they couldn't have caused it.

I have a followup call with the service department guy to discuss further. Just wondering if anyone has any info about the replacement of the ignition cylinder and wiring for the stereo controls. Assuming the wires run past that area? I had a few other issues with the service department and additional charges they had due to ordering additional keys (but gave me my original key back). I am not looking for a freebie from the dealer but just to discuss with some information with them and figure out to handle this situation even if we split it 50/50 or something to get the car back to were it was the day I brought it in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #2

The wires for the steering controls aren't running by the ignition. They're part of
the clock-spring assembly. Could be they messed it up, under the air-bag. There
is no special programming for the controls, I even added the right side to a car, and
it all worked fine. As long as you have the left side, you can add the right side
controls. There are ribbon cables that connect each side to the module, and it's all under
the air-bag.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerslavePA View Post
The wires for the steering controls aren't running by the ignition. They're part of
the clock-spring assembly. Could be they messed it up, under the air-bag. There
is no special programming for the controls, I even added the right side to a car, and
it all worked fine. As long as you have the left side, you can add the right side
controls. There are ribbon cables that connect each side to the module, and it's all under
the air-bag.
Thank you. Do you know if they had to remove any parts of the steering or airbag to change the ignition? I have seen different repair methods based on the type/age of a car online.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #4

Most of the time, you have to remove the air-bag to remove the wheel
so you can get at everything behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement